I hope someone has seen the Dethklok Blues Episode…
Due some internal changes we had to alter the domain admin password. Naturally there are scheduled tasks running under this account.
Here is a quick ghetto way to change the password…
1. Go to the trigger tabs
2. Change the schedule by 1 min, sec or whatever
3. Hit Ok, reinput the correct password in the user authentication box hit ok
4. Repeat the above steps and change the schedule back
This should save the new password as the task password…
RDP decides to give you a message regarding exceeded sessions…
mstsc /admin /v:YOURSERVER
For DBAs using a laptop or system off the domain, a frequent problem I’ve noticed is creation of a sql login to access the server because their laptop is not joined to the domain (some DBAs have multiple networks to administrate)
Here is an example of running SSMS with your active directory login. I’ve updated this post to work with SQL Server 2012. Assuming you haven’t changed any of your paths where your management studio is located, this should work. Make sure you enter in your username.
C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /netonly /user:SANDBOX\username "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Ssms.exe"
First off…I wouldn’t recommend having a sql server that is accessible from the outside world.
In my case though I have a development server that I run from a partners network. Somewhere down the line some one or “some many” have run a scan and found this out. So my logs are filling up with password attempts.
Start -> Run -> MMC
Add the RRAS snap.
Go to IP Routing -> General -> Properties of your network adapter
Create new inbound filters with the offending IP Address using 255.255.255.255 as the mask, make sure the default option “Receive all Packets EXCEPT…”